Place:


Wreay  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wreay like this:

WREAY, a chapelry in Carlisle-St. Mary parish, Cumberland; on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 5½ miles SSE of Carlisle. It has a post-office under Carlisle, and a r. station. Acres, 1,088. Real property, £1,967. Pop., 166. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £86.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter ofThe church was built in 1739. There is a partially endowed school.

Wreay through time

Wreay is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wreay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wreay, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3804

Date accessed: 12th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wreay ".