In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skelton like this:
SKELTON, a township and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The township lies 3½ miles NN W of Blencow r. station, and 6½ NW of Penrith; and has a post-office under Penrith. Real property, £1,927. Pop., 282. Houses, 64. The parish contains also two other townships, and comprises 6,326 acres. Pop., 719. Houses, 152. The manor belongs to Sir H. R. Vane. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £294.* Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1794. There are an endowed school with £32 a year, and charities £7.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Skelton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Eden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Skelton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skelton, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Skelton".