Place:


Fordham  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fordham like this:

FORDHAM, a village and a parish in Newmarket district, Cambridge. The village stands near the boundary with Suffolk, 3½ miles SE of Soham, and 5 N of New-market r. station; and has a post office under Soham. The parish comprises 4, 050 acres. Real property, £9, 564. Pop., 1, 406. Houses, 319. ...


The manor belonged, in the time of Charles II., to a junior branch of the Russells of Chippenham; was sold, about the beginning of last cen - tury, to Admiral Sir Charles Wager; and passed to successively Governor Harrison, Viscount Townsend, James Metcalf, Esq., and Francis Noble, Esq. The manor-house was rebuilt by Sir Charles Wager, and pulled down by Mr. Metcalf; and a brick house, on the site of its offices, was erected by the latter. A Gilbertine priory, a cell to Sempringham abbey, was founded here, in the time of Henry III., by Robert de Fordham; and given, at the dissolution, to W. Paris. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £348. Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is ancient; and there are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and national schools. There are also alms-houses, and other charities £49.

Fordham through time

Fordham is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fordham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fordham in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3789

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fordham ".