In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allonby like this:
ALLONBY, a seaport village, a chapelry, and a township, in Bromfield parish, Cumberland. The village stands on a wide open bay of its own name opposite Rigg light-vessel, 2½ miles N of Bull Gill r. station, and 6 NNE of Maryport. It has a post office under Maryport; and it carries on a fishing trade, and is a summer resort for sea-bathing. It was the birthplace of the distinguished hydrographer, Huddart, who died in 1816. The chapelry includes the village. Pop. in 1851, 749. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £94.* Patron, the Vicar of Bromfield. There are a Quaker's meeting-house and a slightly endowed school.-The township includes West Newton, and bears the name of West Newton and Allonby. Acres, 1,794; of Which 573 are water. Real property, £5,627,-of which £2,423 are in West Newton. Pop., 1,002. Houses, 252.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Allonby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Allerdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Allonby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allonby, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Allonby".