In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Romiley like this:
ROMILEY, or Chadkirk, a village and a township-chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the Peak Forest canal, adjacent to the Manchester, Hyde, and New Mills railway, 4 miles E by N of Stockport; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Stockport. The chapelry comprises 2, 290 acres. Real property, £6, 817; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 364; in 1861, 1, 468. Houses, 308. The property is much subdivided. Oak-wood Hall is the seat of L. Heyworth, Esq. There are two cotton-mills and extensive print-works. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120. Patron, the Rector of Stockport. The church was built in 1865. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Romiley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stockport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Romiley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Romiley, in Stockport and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Romiley".