In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Poynton like this:
POYNTON, or Pointon, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the Manchester and Macclesfield railway, 1¾mile W of the Macclesfield canal, and 4¾ S S E of Stock-port; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Stockport. The township comprises 2, 490 acres. Real property, £12, 655; of which £8, 670 are in mines. Pop., 1, 284. Houses, 258. The manor and much of the land belong to Lord Vernon. Coal is extensivelymined. The chapelry includes also most of Worthtownship. Pop, 1, 977. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £85. Patron, Lord Vernon. The church was rebuilt in 1789. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Poynton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Macclesfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Poynton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Poynton, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Poynton".