In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northenden like this:
NORTHEN, or Northenden, a village, a township, and a parish, in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Mersey, at the boundary with Lancashire; adjacent to the Cheshire Midland railway, 4¼ miles W of Stockport; is a scattered place; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Manchester. The township comprises 1, 434 acres. Real property, £4, 820. Pop., 709. Houses, 155. The parish contains also the township of Etchells, and comprises 3, 716 acres. ...
Real property, £13, 852. Pop. in 1851, 1, 359; in 1861, 1, 430. Houses, 308. The manor, with Wythenshawe Hall, belongs to T. W. Tatton, Esq. The Hall is an ancient mansion, was garrisoned for the King in the civil wars of Charles I., and was capturedby the parliamentarian troops in Feb. 1643. Ravenswood is the residence of J. Johnson, Esq.; Rosehill, of E. W. Watkin, Esq.; and Holly House, of J. M. Leigh, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £406.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church is an early English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and low tower; and contains some tablets to the Tattons. There are an endowed national school with £23 a year, and charities £19.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Northenden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Manchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Northenden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northenden, in Manchester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Northenden".