In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Lewisham like this:
Lewisham, parl. bor., par., and SE. suburb of London with ry. sta. (Lewisham Junction), Kent, on river Ravensbourne, 4 miles SE. of St Paul's - par., 5774 ac., pop. 53,065; pad. bor. (including also the par. of Lee), 7012 ac., pop. 67,500; 1 Bank; has large nurseries. Lewisham returns 1 member to Parliament; It was made a parl. bor. in 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lewisham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lewisham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lewisham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lewisham in Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lewisham".