In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longworth like this:
LONGWORTH, a village in Faringdon district, and a parish partly also in Abingdon district, Berks. The village stands 1 mile S of the river Isis, at the boundary with Oxford, 6 N by W of Wantage-Road r. station, and 7 ENE of Faringdon; and has a post office, under Faringdon. The parish contains also the chapelry of Charney, and the hamlet of Draycot-Moor. Acres, 4,415. Real property, £3,978. Pop., 1,131. Houses, 255. The manor belonged once to Sir H. Marten, the father of the regicide; and belongs now to Sidney Pusey, Esq. ...
A Roman camp, and the reputed site of a palace of Canute, are at Cherbury. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Charney, in the diocese of Oxford. Valne, £1,000. * Patron, Jesus College, Oxford. The church is Saxon, in tolerable condition,.roughcast and whitened; contains several old brasses; and stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view over the rich outspread basin of the Isis. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £45. Bishop Fell was a native, and his father was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Longworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale of White Horse. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Longworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longworth, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longworth".