In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Crosby like this:
CROSBY (Great), a village and a chapelry in Sephton parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the coast, near the river Mersey's mouth, 1¾ mile W of the Liverpool and Southport railway, 6½ miles NNW of Liverpool; is a much-frequented watering place; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Liverpool, and two hotels. The chapelry comprises 5, 627 acres; of which 3, 510 are water. Real property, £22, 495. Pop., 3, 794. Houses, 686. The property is much subdivided. ...
Crosby House is the seat of John Myers, Esq. Crosby Point is near the village; Crosby lighthouse, 1¼ mile N of the Point, was erected in 1839, and shows a fixed light, 81 feet high; Crosby floating light is moored at the east elbow of the Burbo bank; and Crosby Channel, between that bank and the Formby, and about 6½ miles long, is the main entrance to. the Mersey. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £119.* Patron, the Rector of Sephton. The church was built in 1854, is cruciform and handsome, and has a tower with lofty spire. There are an elegant Wesleyan chapel, built in 1863 at a cost of £5, 000, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed grammar school, an endowed girls' school, and a Roman Catholic convent school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Crosby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sefton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Crosby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Crosby, in Sefton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Crosby".