In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Ashford like this:
Ashford, par. and market town, E. Kent, on the South-Eastern Ry., on river Stour, 14 miles SW. of Canterbury and 54 miles SE. of London by rail, 2850 ac., pop. 9693; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-days, Tues. and Sat. The town has mfrs. of damask and linen.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ashford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ashford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ashford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashford in Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashford".