In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Appleton like this:
APPLETON, a village and a parish in Abingdon district, Berks. The village stands near the Thames, 5 miles NW of Abingdon r. station; and has a post office under Abingdon. The parish includes also the township of Eaton. Acres, 1,991. Real property, £2,820. Pop., 549. Houses, 121. The Fettiplaces had an old seat here, which is now reduced to a fragment. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £307.* Patron, Magdalene College, Oxford. The church has tombs of the Fettiplaces, and a brass of a skeleton. A school has £16 from endowment, and other charities £35. Edmund Dickenson, the famous chemist and physician, born in 1624, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Appleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale of White Horse. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Appleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Appleton, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Appleton".