In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Barford like this:
BARFORD (Great), a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, 3 miles NNW of Sandy r. station, and 6 E by N of Bedford. It has a post office under St. Neot's. Acres, 2,830. Real property, £4,679. Pop., 907. Houses, 198. The property is subdivided. The river Ouse here is crossed by a bridge of about the beginning of the 15th century, and is navigable. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Roxton, in the dio. of Ely. The church is later English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £20.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Barford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bedford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Barford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Barford, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Barford".