In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barnton like this:
BARNTON, a township and a chapelry in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire. The township lies near the Northwestern railway, 2 miles NW of Northwich; and has a post office under that town. Acres, 751. Real property, £3,052. Pop., 1,219. Houses, 264. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1843. Pop., 1,431. Houses, 310. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, 120.* Patron, the Bishop. The church is good; and there are three Methodist chapels.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barnton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale Royal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barnton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barnton, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barnton".