Place:


Headbourne Worthy  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Headbourne Worthy like this:

HEADBOURN-WORTHY, a parish in Winchester district, Hants; on the river Itchen and the Southwestern railway, 2 miles N of Winchester. Post town, Winchester. Acres, 1,800. Real property, £4, 419. Pop., 194. Houses, 38. The property is divided among a few; but the greater part belongs to Henry Bright, Esq. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £390.* Patron, University College, Oxford. The church is ancient, but good; has some indications of Saxon; and includes, in a 15th century chapel, but originally outside of its own wall, a much mutilated ancient sculpture of the crucifixion. The churchyard contains the grave of Bingham, the author of "Origines Ecclesiasticæ, " who was rector. Charities, £6.

Headbourne Worthy through time

Headbourne Worthy is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Headbourne Worthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Headbourne Worthy, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3530

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Headbourne Worthy ".