In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tamworth like this:
Tamworth, mun. bor., par., township, and market town, Staffordshire and Warwickshire, at the confluence of the Tame and the Anker, 6½ miles SE. of Lichfield, 22 miles SE. of Stafford, and 110 miles NW. of London by rail - par., 11,602 ac., pop. 14,096; township and bor., 200 ac., pop. 4891; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 news-papers. Market-day, Saturday. Tamworth is a well built place, with a fine old church, a modernised Norman castle, and a monument to Sir Robert Peel. The mfrs. include tape, paper, smallwares, tanning, and brewing. Coal mines are worked in the vicinity, and the market gardens send produce to Birmingham. Tamworth was a place of importance in Saxon times; it was incorporated in the third year of Elizabeth, and sent 2 members to Parliament from a very early period until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tamworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Tamworth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tamworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tamworth in Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tamworth".