In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dittisham like this:
DITTISHAM, a village and a parish in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands on the river Dart, 3 miles NNW of Dartmouth town and r. station; is noted for fine scenery and for plums; and has a post office under Totnes. The parish includes also the hamlet of Capton. Acres, 3, 438; of which 340 are water. Real property, with Stoke-Fleming, £10, 009. Rated property of D. alone, £3, 317. Pop., 762. Houses, 162. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the Conqueror's time, to Baldwin, Baron of Okehampton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £444.* Patron, the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. The church is early perpendicular English; and was, not long ago, restored. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £44.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dittisham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Hams. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dittisham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dittisham, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dittisham".