In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Parkham like this:
PARKHAM, a parish and a sub-district in Bideford district, Devon. The parish lies on the river Yeo, 6 miles S W of Bideford r. station; contains the hamlet of Horns-Cross, which has a post-office under Bideford; and contains also the hamlets of Ash, Broad-Parkham, Gold-worthy, Newhaven, Peppercombe, and part of Burkish-Mills. Acres, 5, 808. Real property, £4, 328. Pop.in 1851, 951; in 1861, 886. Houses, 187. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Hon. Mark Rolle. Bableigh was a seat of the Risdons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £635.* Patron, W. H. Stone, Esq. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Bible Christians, and Plymouth-Brethren, a parochial school, and charities £5.The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 16, 797. Pop., 2, 794. Houses, 564.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Parkham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Torridge. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Parkham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Parkham, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Parkham".