In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saltney like this:
SALTNEY, a village and a township in Hawarden parish, Flint. The village stands on the river Dee, at the boundary with Cheshire, and on the Chester and Holyhead railway, at the junction of the Chester and Shrewsbury railway, 2 miles S W of Chester; is practically the port of Chester; underwent much enlargement, in recent years, in connexion with railway -works, iron-works, candle-works, manure-works, the opening of collieries, and the establishment of a corn mill and of a wire-rope manufactory; and has a post-office‡ under Chester, and a r. station. The township comprises 2, 185acres. Real property, £7, 517. Pop. in 1851, 854; in 1861, 1, 325. Houses, 266. The manor belonged anciently to Basingwick abbey. Much of the land, till solate as 1778, was an open marsh. Henry II. encampedhere in 1157.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Saltney has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Flintshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Saltney and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saltney in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Saltney".