In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Huntingdon like this:
Huntingdon.-- mun. bor. and co. town of Huntingdonshire, on left bank of river Ouse (which connects it with the port of Lynn), 19 miles S. of Peterborough and 59 N. of London, 1116 ac., pop. 4228; 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday; is the Huntantun of the Saxons. The Roman road, Ermine Street, passes through the town, which is connected with Godmanchester by a bridge. Huntingdon has large breweries, carriage works, and mfrs. of patent perforated bricks; while there is also a consnderable trade in agricultural produce, seeds, wool, and timber. Famous nurseries for trees, shrubs, flowers, and plants of every description are in the neighbourhood. Huntingdon was the birth-place of Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658). Huntingon returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Huntingdon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Huntingdonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Huntingdon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huntingdon in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Huntingdon".