In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Silsoe like this:
SILSOE, a village and a chapelry in Flitton parish, Beds. The village stands near the Midland railway, 3½ miles ESE of Ampthill; was once a market town; and has a post-office under Ampthill, a hotel, and fairs on 13 May and 21 Sept. The chapelry comprises 2,160 acres. Real property, £3,848. Pop., 713. Houses, 150. The manor, with Wrest Park, belongs to Countess Cowper. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £150.* Patron, Countess Cowper. The church was rebuilt in 1830, at a cost of £5,000. There are public schools and a dispensary.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Silsoe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Bedfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Silsoe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Silsoe in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Silsoe".