In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gresham like this:
GRESHAM, a parish in Erpiunham district, Norfolk; 5 miles SW of Cromer, and 9½ NW of North Walsham r. station. Post town, Cromer, under Norwich. Acres, 1, 303. Real property, £1, 797. Pop., 345. Houses, 84. The property is divided among a few. The Gresham family, of whom was Sir Thomas Gresham, are supposed to have had their game from this parish; and the poet Chaucer had property here. Remains exist of an embattled mansion which belonged, in the time of Edward II., to the Bacons. Lime is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £321. * Patron, the Rev. Mr. Spurgin. The church is decorated English, in good condition; has a round tower; and contains a curiously sculptured font.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gresham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gresham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gresham in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gresham".