In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Narford like this:
NARFORD, a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk; on the river Nar, 1¾ mile E of Narborough r. station, and 4¾ N W of Swaffham. Post-town, Brandon, under Swaffham. Acres, 2, 396. Real property, £1,783. Pop., 128. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Narford Hall, belongs to the Fountaine family. The Hall was built by Sir Andrew Fountaine, the antiquary, and the friend of Pope; is a handsome edifice, in well-wooded grounds, with a small lake; and contains a fine collection of paintings and articles of vertu. ...
A considerable village once existed in the parish, and was a market-town; but hascompletely disappeared. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Narborough, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is anold building, of different dates; and has a tower. Achapel, dedicated to St. Thomas æ Becket, once stoodon an eminence.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Narford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Breckland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Narford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Narford, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Narford".