Place:


Chawton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chawton like this:

CHAWTON, a parish in Alton district, Hants; adjacent to the Southwestern railway, 1¼ mile SSW of Alton. Post town, Alton. Acres, 2, 663. Real property, £2, 914. Pop., 464. Houses, 77. The property is all in one estate. Chawton Park is the se at of E. Knight, Esq. The house is Tudor, much enlarged. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £353.* Patron, E. Knight, Esq. The church is good; and contains a 16th ceutury monument of Sir Richard Knight. Charities, £9.

Chawton through time

Chawton is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chawton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chawton in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3415

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chawton ".