In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Foots Cray like this:
CRAY (Foots), a village and a parish in Bromley district, Kent. The village stands on the rivulet Cray, 2¼ miles N of St. Mary Cray r. station, and 5½ ENE of Bromley; and has a post office under London, S. E. The parish comprises 798 acres. Real property, £3, 608. Pop., 286. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at the Conquest, to Godwin Fot or Foot, and in the time of Edward III., to Sir Simon de Vaughan. Foots-Cray Place is an edifice of 1752, after the model of Palladio's villa. ...
Ursula Lodge, 1 mile NW of the village, is a recent building, founded by H. Berens, Esq., for six maiden ladies. There are several paper mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £251.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is partly transition Norman, partly rude early decorated English; and has effigies of Sir Simon de Vaughan and his lady. A school has £10 from endowment.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Foots Cray has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bexley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Foots Cray and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Foots Cray, in Bexley and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Foots Cray".