In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chalfont St Giles like this:
CHALFONT-ST. GILES, a village and a parish in Amersham district, Bucks. The village stands on the Misbourn rivulet, 3 miles SE by S of Amersham, and 6 E by N of Loudwater r. station; and has a post office‡ under Slough. The poet Milton resided here during the plague of London in 1665, and finished here his "Paradise Lost;" and the house which he occupied, a half-timbered cottage, still exists, and has his name on its front. The parish comprises 3,641 acres. Real property, £6,117. ...
Pop., 1,217. Houses, 255. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to T. N. Allen, Esq. Vatche House, or the Vache, is a modernized ancient edifice; was long held by the Hare family; belonged previously to the Alstons; and is said to have been built originally on a dairy farm of King John. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £615.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient; has a Norman tower; was restored in 1863; and contains brasses and monuments of the Gardiners, the Fleetwoods, the Claytons, and Bishop Hare. There are chapels for Independents, Primitive Methodists, Free Methodists, and Quakers; and the remains of William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, and Thomas Ellwood, the friend of Milton, are in the Quakers' burying ground. A school has £58 from endowment; and other charities £100.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chalfont St Giles has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chiltern. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chalfont St Giles and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chalfont St Giles, in Chiltern and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chalfont St Giles".