In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maes Teg like this:
MAESTEG, a town and a sub-district in Bridgend district, Glamorgan. The town is in Llangonoyd parish; stands on the river Llynvi, and on the Llynvi Valley railway, 9 miles NW by N of Bridgend; occupies a sequestered spot, entirely surrounded by ranges of hills; is a place of recent origin and of rapid growth; owes its rise and progress to the establishment and extension of ironworks; and has a station on the railway, a post office‡ under Bridgend, a chapel of ease to Llangonoyd, several dissenting chapels, and two British schools. Its pop. in 1867 was not much short of 14,000.The sub-district contains all Llangonoyd parish and seven other parishes. Pop. in 1861,8,562. Houses, 1, 689.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Maes Teg has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bridgend. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Maes Teg and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maes Teg, in Bridgend and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Maes Teg".