In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grayrigg like this:
GRAYRIGG, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Kendal district, Westmoreland. The township lies adjacent to the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, gear the source of the river Mint, 5 miles NE of Kendal; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Kendal. Real property, £1, 996. Pop., 251. Houses, 49. The manor belonged to the Windsores and the Ducketts; and passed to the Lowthers. Grayrigg Hall is in ruins. Part of the surface is Grayrigg forest.The chapelry includes the township, but is much more extensive; and is in Kendal parish. ...
Rated property, £10, 198. Pop., 877. The property is much subdivided. The land is partly mountainous, and is overhung by Whinfell beacon. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £152. * Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church is modern; and there are a Quakers' chapel, an endowed school with £30, and other charities with £16.The sub-district contains fifteen townships of Kendal parish, and one of Kirkby Lansdale. Pop., 4, 026. Houses, 704.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Grayrigg has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Lakeland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Grayrigg and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grayrigg, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grayrigg".