In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sydmonton like this:
SIDMONTON, or Sydmonton, a parish in Kingsclere district, Hants; 3 miles W by S of Kingsclere, and 6½ S by E of Newbury r. station. Post town, Kingsclere, under Newbury. Acres, 4,470. Real property, £1,832. Pop., 149. Houses, 30. The manor belonged to Romsey abbey; and went, at the dissolution, to the Kingsmills. S. Common is a meet for the Craven hounds. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Echinswell, in the diocese of Winchester. The church has a Norman chancel arch.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sydmonton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Basingstoke and Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sydmonton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sydmonton, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sydmonton".