Place:


Little Leigh  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Leigh like this:

LEIGH (LiTTLE), a village, a township, and a chapelry in Great Bedworth parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the Grand Trunk canal and the river Weaver, 3½ miles NW of Northwich r. station; and has a postal pillar under Northwich. The township comprises 1,529 acres. Real property, £.2,930. ...


Pop., 409. Houses, 79. The manor belongs to Lord Leigh. The chapelry includes also the townships of Dutton and Bartington; and was constituted in 1833. Pop., 914. Houses, 147. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £160.* Patron, the Vicar of Great Budworth. The church is a brick building, with a turret. The parsonage was rebuilt in 1864. There are a Baptist chapel, a village school, and charities £4.

Little Leigh through time

Little Leigh is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Leigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Leigh, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3248

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Leigh ".