In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dovenby like this:
DOVENBY, a township in Bridekirk parish, Cumberland; 3 miles NW of Cockermouth. Acres, 1,886. Pop., 272. An Independent chapel was built in 1869.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dovenby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Allerdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dovenby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dovenby, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dovenby".