In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodford like this:
WOODFORD, a township-chapelry in Prestbury parish, Cheshire; 2 miles ESE of Handforth r. station, and 5 S by W of Stockport. Post town, Stockport. Acres, 1,449. Real property, £3,379. Pop., 392. Houses, 74. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value and patron, not reported. The church is plain. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woodford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stockport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woodford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodford, in Stockport and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodford".