In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hart like this:
HART, a village and a township in Stockton district, and a parish partly also in Easington district, Durham. The village stands on a rising ground, near the Ferryhill and Hartlepool railway, about 2 miles from the coast, and 4 NW of Hartlepool; and has a post office under Ferryhill. The township comprises 2, 366 acres of land, and 223 of water. Real property, £2, 753. Pop., 297. Houses, 55. The parish contains also the townships of Thorpe-Bulmer, Throston, Elwick, Dalton-Piercy, and Nesbitt. ...
Acres, 7, 880. Real property, £10, 971. Pop. in 1851, 920; in 1861, 1, 420. Houses, 239. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to F. A. Milbank, Esq. One-fourth of the land is pasture; and limestone occurs. A fine view of the coast lies toward and over Hartlepool. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £164. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is the mother one of Hartlepool, of Norman formation, and in good condition; retains the Norman character in its chancel arch, and in part of its tower; has, on the outer S wall of the chancel, a curious has relief of St. George and the Dragon; and contains an octagonal font, carved with hagiological figures and other symbols.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hart has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hartlepool. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hart and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hart, in Hartlepool and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hart".