In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bushey like this:
BUSHEY, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Watford district, Herts. The village stands ¾ of a mile E of the North Western railway, near the river Colne, 1½ mile SE of Watford; has a station on the railway and a post office under Watford; and was once a markettown. The parish includes also Bushey-Heath, which likewise has a post office under Watford, and is 3 miles from that town. Acres, 3,188. Real property, £15,586. Pop. 3,159. Houses, 680. The property is much subdivided. ...
The manor was given by William the Conqueror to Geoffrey de Mandeville; and passed afterwards to the Crown. Bushey-Manor-House, Bushey-Grove, and Bushey-Grange are chief residences. The high grounds of Bushey-Heath command an extensive and beautiful view. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of St. Peter, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £765.* Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The parish church is tolerable; and St. Peter's church is modern and very good. There are three dissenting chapels and three public schools. The subdistrict contains two parishes. Pop., 4,928. Houses, 1,032.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bushey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hertsmere. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bushey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bushey, in Hertsmere and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bushey".