In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanney like this:
STANNEY (Great and Little), two townships in Stoke parish, Cheshire; 6 and 5 miles N of Chester. Acres, 950 and 797. Real property, £1,441 and £1,516. Pop., 65 and 204. Houses, 8 and 34. The property of Great S. belonged to Stanlow abbey; and that of Little S. belongs now to SirJ. F. Bunbury, Bart.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanney has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ellesmere Port and Neston. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanney and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanney, in Ellesmere Port and Neston and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanney".