In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Watchfield like this:
WATCHFIELD, a township in Shrivenham parish, Berks; 4½ miles SW by S of Great Faringdon. Real property, £2,223. Pop., 431. Houses, 85. The manor belongs to the Earl of Radnor. There are a chapel of ease and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Watchfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale of White Horse. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Watchfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Watchfield, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Watchfield".