In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinton Ampner like this:
HINTON-AMPNER, a parish in Alresford district, Hants; 3 miles SSW of Alresford r. station. Post town, Alresford. Acres, 2, 349. Real property, £2, 670. Pop., 362. Houses, 69. Hinton House is a chief residence. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £402. * Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church has Saxon features, and an interesting low side window; and contains a curious piscina. There are an endowed school with £140 a year, and other charities with £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hinton Ampner has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Winchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hinton Ampner and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinton Ampner, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hinton Ampner".