Place:


Bridgerule  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bridgerule like this:

BRIDGERULE, a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon; on the river Tamar and the Bude canal, 4½ miles E by S of Holsworthy, and 16 SW by S of Bideford r. station. It has a post office under Holsworthy. Acres, 3,219. Real property, £2,325. Pop., 410. Houses, 87. A part comprising 1,010 acres, is on the right side of the Tamar, and was formerly in Cornwall. ...


The manor was given, by William the Conqueror, to Reginald Adobed, abbreviated Ruald or Rule Adobed; and it is named jointly from him and from a bridge over the Tamar. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rev. S. N. Kingdon. The church is variously early English and debased; and is in a very dilapidated state, but has a good porch. There is a chapel for Bible Christians.

Bridgerule through time

Bridgerule is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bridgerule itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bridgerule, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3121

Date accessed: 18th August 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bridgerule ".