In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carrington like this:
CARRINGTON, a township-chapelry in Bowden parish, Cheshire; on the Mersey, 3¼ miles NW of Broadheath r. station. Post Town, Ashton-on-Mersey. Acres, 2,333. Real property, £4,480. Pop., 521. Houses, 102. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Chester. Value, £375. Patron, the Earl of Stamford. The church is good. There are two Methodist chapels and a n. school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Carrington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Trafford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Carrington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carrington, in Trafford and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Carrington".