In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanelidan like this:
LLANELIDAN, a parish and a sub-district in Ruthin district, Denbigh. The parish lies near the head of the vale of Clwyd, adjacent to the boundary with Merioneth, and on the Denbigh and Corwen railway, around Nantclwyd r. station, 5 miles S by W of Ruthin; it contains the townships of Llan, Nantclwyd, Bryncume, Garthyn euvedd, and Trewyn-Bodlowydd; and it has a post office under Flint. Acres, 4,900. Rated property, £5,120. Pop. in 1851,953; in 1861,848. Houses, 185. The property is divided among a few. ...
The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £300. * Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is dedicated to St. Elidan, is ancient and good; and contains monuments of the Thetwalls and the Kerricks. There are chapels for Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists, and Wesleyans, and charities £32.The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 13,840. Pop., 2,684. Houses, 580.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanelidan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Denbighshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanelidan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanelidan in Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanelidan".