In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackwell like this:
BLACKWELL, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Mansfield and county of Derby. The parish lies on the verge of the county, 2½ miles NE of Alfreton r. station. Post Town, Normanton, under Alfreton. Acres, 1,700. Real property, £2,705; of which £400 are in mines. Pop., 517. Houses, 101. The property is divided among a few; and coal is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £90. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was built in 1826. There are a P. Methodist chapel and an endowed school.-The sub-dis. comprises four parishes. Pop., 4,552.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Blackwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bolsover. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Blackwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackwell, in Bolsover and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Blackwell".