In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurlstone like this:
THURLSTONE, a township, with a village and five hamlets, in Penistone parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile W of Penistone, and including Hazlehead and Dunford-Bridge r. stations, 2 and 5 miles W. Acres, 7,740. Real property, £8,463; of which £800 are in mines, and £30 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,018; in 1861, 2,251. Houses, 450. The manor belongs to the Earl of Scarborough. Woollen cloth manufacture is carried on. There are a Church school used as a chapel of ease, Independent and Wesleyan chapels, and an Independent school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thurlstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Barnsley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thurlstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurlstone, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thurlstone".