In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dixton like this:
DIXTON-NEWTON, a hamlet and a parish in the district and county of Monmouth. The hamlet lies on the river Wye, adjacent to the West Midland railway, 1 mile NE of Monmouth. The parish includes also the hamlets of Dixton-Hadnock and Wyesham. Post town, Monmouth. Acres, 3, 848. Real property, £6, 936. Pop., 753. Houses, 162. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £223.* Patron, the Rev. J. L. Dighton. The church is ancient but good; and has a low broach spire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dixton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dixton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dixton in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dixton".