In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rownhams like this:
ROWNHAMS, a chapelry in Nursling, Romsey, and North Baddesley parishes, Hants; 2¼ miles N N E of Red-bridge r. station, and 4½ N W of Southampton. It was constituted in 1856; and its post town is Redbridge, under Southampton. Pop., 393. Houses, 92. R. House is the seat of Mrs. Colt. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £60. Patron, Mrs. Colt. The church is recent.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rownhams has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Test Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rownhams and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rownhams, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rownhams".