In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Feniton like this:
FENITON, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands in the valley of the river Otter, near Ottery Road r. station, 3½ miles W by S of Honiton; and has a post office under Honiton. The parish includes also the hamlets of Curscombe and Colestock. Acres, 1,822. Real property, £3, 322. Pop., 361. Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. The manor was long held by the Malchardes, and belongs now to Sir John Patteson. The Cornish rebels, in the time of Edward VI., sustained a sanguinary defeat at Feniton Bridge. ...
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £372.* Patron, G. B. Northcote, Esq., two turns, and B. Woolley, Esq., one turn. The church has an aisle with Norman arches, but seems to be mainly of the 14th century; consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with low western tower; contains an ancient screen, and a highly decorated ancient altar-tomb; and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Feniton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Feniton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Feniton in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Feniton".