Place:


Hanworth Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hanworth like this:

HANWORTH, a village and a parish in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands 2 miles NNW of Hampton r. station, and 5 W by N of Kingston-on-Thames; and has a post office under Hounslow, London W., and a picturesque inn. The parish comprises 1, 390 acres. Real property, £3, 826. Pop., 763. Houses, 169. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged to Ulf, the Saxon; came to the Crown; was the pleasureseat of Queen Catherine Parr; is noted for Queen Elizabeth having lived in it in her youth, and for her having visited it after she ascended the throne; passed to the Killigrews, the Cottingtons, and others; and belongs now to A. ...


Perkins, Esq. An ancient castellated mansion which stood on it was burnt in 1797. Hanworth Park is a principal residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £451. * Patron, the Rev. O. J. Cresswell. The church was enlarged and mainly rebuilt in 1865. There are a national school, and charities £32. The dramatist Killigrew and the first Lord Berkeley of Stratton, were natives.

Hanworth through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hanworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hounslow. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hanworth and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hanworth, in Hounslow and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2950

Date accessed: 23rd April 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hanworth".