Place:


Aston Clinton  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aston Clinton like this:

ASTON-CLINTON, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Aylesbury, Bucks. The township lies near Icknield-street and the Wendover and Aylesbury canals, 3½ miles ESE of Aylesbury r. station. It has a post office under Tring; and is a meet of the Rothschild hounds. Acres, 2,670. ...


Real property, £4,532. Pop., 1,108. Houses, 232.—The parish includes also the hamlet of St. Leonard. Acres, 3,640. Real property, £5,509. Pop., 1,297. Houses, 267. The property is divided among a few. Aston-Clinton House was the seat of Viscount Lake, who died in 1808. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £506.* Patron, Jesus' College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are a Baptist chapel, and charities £192. The p. curacy of St. Leonard is a separate charge.-The subdistrict comprises ten parishes. Acres, 17,752. Pop., 5,246. Houses, 1,073.

Aston Clinton through time

Aston Clinton is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aston Clinton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aston Clinton, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2946

Date accessed: 14th August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aston Clinton ".