In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eckington like this:
ECKINGTON, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Chesterfield district, Derby. The township lies on the river Rother, adjacent to the Midland railway and the Chesterfield canal, 6 miles NNE of Chesterfield; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Chesterfield. The parish contains also the townships of Troway, Renishaw, Ridgeway, and Mosborough. Acres, 6, 610. Real property, £20, 601; of which £4, 631 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4, 958; in 1861, 6, 064. ...
Houses, 1, 189. The property is much subdivided. The working of coal has recently been much extended; and the manufacture of pottery and hardware is largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Valne, £774.* Patron, the Crown. The church is good. The vicarage of Ridgeway is a separate benefice. There are four Methodist chapels, a R. Catholic church and college, an endowed free school, and some charities.The sub-district includes also Killamarsh parish and Staveley township. Acres, 14, 938. Pop., 13, 948. Houses, 2, 620.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eckington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North East Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eckington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eckington in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eckington".