In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Avington like this:
AVINGTON, a parish in Winchester district, Hants; on the river Itching, 3 miles E of the Southwestern rail way, and 5 NE of Winchester. Post Town, Itchen Abbots under Winchester. Acres, 1,794. Real property, £1,833. Pop., 162. Houses, 33. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown; was given, in 961, by King Edgar, to the monastery of St. Swithin at Win chester; passed, at the dissolution, to the Clerks of Mit cheldever; and went, in the reign of Elizabeth, to the family of Bruges or Brydges, who after wards became Dukes of Chandos and Buckingham. ...
The infamous Countess of Shrewsbury, who married into this family, was often visited here by Charles II. The present house is a modern brick structure, on the site of the ancient mansion. The park lies in a sequestered valley, nearly surrounded with high downs; is well wooded; and measures about 3 miles in circuit. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £265.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church stands in the park, and is modern. Charities, £20.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Avington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Winchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Avington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Avington, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Avington".