In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hurstbourne Tarrant like this:
HURSTBOURNE-TARRANT, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Andover district, Hants. The village stands on the river Swift, 5½ miles NNE of Andover r. station; and has a post office‡ under Andover. The parish includes the tything of Brickleton, and comprises 5, 036 acres. Real property, £4, 498. Pop., 839. Houses, 193. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to D. A. B. Dewar, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of VernhamDean, in the diocese of Winchester. ...
Value, £370. * Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is of the latter part of the 12th century, in good condition; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with wooden tower; and contains monuments of the Pauletts. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £19.The sub-district contains also four other parishes in Hants, and two in Wilts. Acres, 18, 898. Pop., 2, 875. Houses, 642.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hurstbourne Tarrant has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Test Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hurstbourne Tarrant and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hurstbourne Tarrant, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hurstbourne Tarrant".